This qualification is ideally suited to members of indigenous councils, eldership and/or boards of community based organisations, board members of Non Government Organisations and School Boards. It is equally ideal for those serving in corporate boards, or those aspiring to a board position.
If you would like to serve on a Board, or if you are already a board member, or a coordinator of quality governance or a committee member – this is an ideal qualification for you.
By undertaking this qualification you will be able to provide leadership and guidance to others and will have the capability of providing some limited responsibility for the output of others.
A GEM Graduate of this qualification would be able to provide support to a board from a wide range of organisations, and in a range of governance roles.
This qualification reflects the roles and responsibilities of those who need to apply a legislative, community/societal and organisational imperatives to a business or within the core functions of organisations. They will provide sound governance by contributing their skills and knowledge to monitoring and guiding the direction and implementation of activities at a board level. They apply solutions to a defined range of unpredictable problems, and will ensure probity and sound governance by analyzing and evaluating information from a variety of sources in an objective manner.
This qualification may apply equally to people who are working in a small business environment, or who have an interest in entrepreneurship.
View this Qualification on training.gov.au.
Online and/or Blended Delivery
Certificate IV in Governance – (BSB40915) (Release 2.0)
BSB Business Services Training Package (Release 2.0 – 3.0).
GEM Online Campus
The Learner is provided with User Name and Password to the GEM Online Campus, which enables access to the interactive Online Screen Guide; the Learner Guide (pdf); the Assessment Guide; and the Quick Reference Guide.
Study via face to face intensives; supported by Learner Guide, Assessment Guide; Online Seminars.
Nominal minimum hours of study plus individual research and on the job application is 1,200 – 2,400 hours (normally over a period of 12 – 24 months); OR approximately 10 hours research and study per week (face-to-face/online) for 12 months from commencement. During the balance of the time, learners will be engaged in work-based/simulated work-based (portfolio building) activities and assessments.
The Course Structure consists of 10 units, 3 core units and 7 elective units, of which:
- 4 of the elective units must be selected from the elective units listed below
- the remaining 3 elective units may be selected from the elective units listed below, or any currently endorsed Training Package or accredited course at the same qualification level
- if not listed below, 1 unit may be selected from any currently endorsed Training Package or accredited course at Certificate III or Diploma level.
Elective units must be relevant to the work environment and the qualification, maintain the integrity of the AQF alignment and contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.
Assistance might be available for this qualification: gemcollege.edu.au/financial-assistance.
State Government funding/subsidies may be available within your state. Please check with your GEM representative if you require clarity in this regard.
Your tuition fee includes:
- Access to GEM Online Campus – and interactive Onscreen Guides
- Learner Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- Assessment Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- All essential reference materials.
- Additional Reference materials may be requested, to further enhance your learning, and these will attract an additional charge.
- Contact our Administration Centre on (08) 8342 3316 for more information and payment options.
- Fees, charges and course offerings are subject to change.
This fee can be paid using EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, cheque, money order or purchase order.
A limited number of Partial Scholarships are offered within Australia annually. A limited number of Offshore Scholarships are offered annually. See Application for Consideration for Scholarship.
Course Fees: $4,900
There are no prerequisite requirements for individual units of competency. However, while there are no prerequisite formal requirements for this qualification, learners will need:
- Communication skills at a requisite level to complete the course
- Computer skills such as:
- Knowledge of common computing terms and word processing;
- Familiar with web browser software;
- Able to send/receive e-mail, including e-mail with attachments; and
- Proficient in navigating the Internet.
Computer hardware and software requirements
- Operating System: Windows 7 or higher; MAC OS X 10.6 or higher (recommended);
- CPU: Min. of 2 GB of RAM, Min. of 2 GB of spare disk space is recommended;
- Processor: 2.0 GHz processor or higher (32-bit or 64-bit);
- Monitor with at least 1024×768 screen resolution;
- Internet access: Minimum ADSL1 with a speed of at least 1.5Mbps;
- Valid personal email address;
- Speakers and microphone/headset;
- Adobe Reader;
- Word processing and presentation software e.g. – Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, etc; and
- In date web browser – e.g. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
Articulation Pathways from the Qualification
On completion of this qualification, you may undertake a specialist qualification, eg, Diploma of Work Health and Safety (BSB51315); Diploma of Human Resources Management (BSB50618); Diploma of Training Design and Development (TAE50216); or a generic qualification such as Diploma of Leadership and Management (BSB51918) OR Diploma of Business (BSB50215).
Each applicant will be interviewed to:
- Ensure suitability of program for the individual and his/her current position and/or career path;
- Explore possibilities for RPL and/or credit transfer (as applicable);
- Identify special needs and determine reasonable adjustment (if applicable/required);
- Establish delivery mode(s) that match the requirements of the student;
- Inform important policies/processes (e.g. – student selection/admissions, privacy, payment/refunds, grievance/complaints processes, etc).
Gaining University Entrance
A Certificate IV or Diploma may gain 6-12 months advanced standing in a university degree. Some Advanced Diplomas may be eligible for even more credit. Choosing a GEM College of International Business to University Pathway is a great way to get practical ‘job ready’ skills and then gain entry to a university at an advanced stage.
A Graduate Certificate from GEM College of International Business, coupled with relevant industry experience, may gain entrance to post graduate qualifications.