Online and/or Blended Delivery
Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety – BSB60615 (Release 1).
BSB Business Services Training Package (Release 1.0 – 4.0).
GEM Online Campus
The Learner is provided with User Name and Password to the GEM Online Campus, which enables access to the interactive Online Screen Guide; the Learner Guide (pdf); the Assessment Guide; and the Quick Reference Guide,
Study via face to face intensives; supported by Learner Guide, Assessment Guide; Online Seminars.
Nominal minimum hours of study plus individual research and on the job application is 1,200 – 2,400 hours (normally over a period of 12-24 months); OR approximately 10 hours research and study per week (face-to-face/online) for 12 months from commencement. During the balance of the time, learners will be engaged in work-based/simulated work-based (portfolio building) activities and assessments.
Pre-Requisite to Entry
Before you enroll in the Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety, you will first need to undertake the CORE Units from the Diploma in Work Health and Safety, or demonstrate that you hold their equivalent. This may be through credit status from another tertiary institution, or through a formal Recognition of Current Competency or Recognition of Prior Learning process. Pre-requisite Units are:
- BSBWHS503 Contribute to the systematic management of WHS risk
- BSBWHS502 Manage effective WHS consultation and participation processes
- BSBWHS504 Manage WHS risks
- BSBWHS505 Investigate WHS incidents
- BSBWHS506 Contribute to developing, implementing and maintaining WHS management systems
GEM Graduates of this qualification will gain a comprehensive understanding of the management of Workplace Health and Safety within their own jurisdiction and industry. They will be exposed to world’s best practice policies and procedures, and will be able to apply this substantial knowledge base to conduct safety audits, and manage hazards within the workplace, including monitoring and managing Material Safety Data Sheets.
The Mission of GEM College is “to assist individuals and corporations towards achieving their highest potential and to help make the world a safer place to work” – we’re doing our part…. Will you do yours?
Our management programs are “pracademic” – they are commercially practical and academically rigorous!
GEM College is based in Adelaide, South Australia. South Australia has a proud heritage in work, health and safety – and in women’s rights. While Finland was the first country to give women the right to vote, South Australia was the first legislative jurisdiction in the world, to give all women the right to vote, and the right to be elected to office. This happened in 1894.
In the same year, 1894, the South Australian Parliament passed the Factory Act, which was the world’s most progressive, worker focused legislation at that time. The legislation was largely championed by the work of Mrs Augusta Zadow, a Factory Inspector who worked tirelessly to improve working conditions in all factories, but particularly those which employed female textile workers. Her tombstone, paid for by “three penny donations” from 1,000 factory workers honours her “Self-denying Efforts on Behalf of the Struggling and Oppressed.”
In recognition of the great work of Augusta Zadow, the GEM College Board has approved the granting of the Augusta Zadow Scholarship for WHS Management – Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety – Value $15,999; and ten Augusta Zadow Partial Scholarships – each valued at $8,000.
If you would like to be considered for one of the Augusta Zadow Scholarships, contact our Administration Office by email email@example.com.
The Course Structure requires that learners successfully complete 8 units, namely – 5 Core; and 3 Electives of which 1 Elective Unit must be selected from the list of Electives below, while the remainder will be drawn from:
- 1 Elective Unit must be selected from the list below;
- Up to 2 Elective Units may selected from the listed Electives, or from any currently endorsed Training Package or accredited course at Advanced Diploma level;
- if not listed below, 1 Elective Unit may be selected from a Diploma of any currently endorsed Training Package or accredited course.
Elective units must be relevant to the work environment and the qualification, maintain the integrity of the AQF alignment and contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.
Assistance might be available for this qualification: gemcollege.edu.au/financial-assistance.
State Government funding/subsidies may be available within your state. Please check with your GEM representative if you require clarity in this regard.
Your tuition fee includes:-
- Access to GEM Online Campus – and interactive Onscreen Guides
- Learner Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- Assessment Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- All essential reference materials.
- Additional Reference materials may be requested, to further enhance your learning, and these will attract an additional charge.
- Contact our Administration Centre on (08) 8342 3316 for more information and payment options.
- Fees, charges and course offerings are subject to change.
This fee can be paid using EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, cheque, money order or purchase order.
A limited number of Partial Scholarships are offered within Australia annually. A limited number of Offshore Scholarships are offered annually. See Application for Consideration for Scholarship on the GEM website.
Course Fees: $11,999
The following Core Units from the Diploma of Work Health and Safety (BSB51315) or equivalent competencies:
- Contribute to developing, implementing and maintaining WHS management systems (BSBWHS506)
- Contribute to the systematic management of WHS risk (BSBWHS503)
- Investigate WHS incidents (BSBWHS505)
- Manage effective WHS consultation and participation processes (BSBWHS502)
- Manage WHS risks (BSBWHS504)
Further to the prerequisite requirements listed above, learners will need:
- Communication skills at a requisite level to complete the course
- Computer skills such as:
- Knowledge of common computing terms and word processing;
- Familiar with web browser software;
- Able to send/receive e-mail, including e-mail with attachments; and
- Proficient in navigating the Internet.
Computer hardware and software requirements
- Operating System: Windows 7 or higher; MAC OS X 10.6 or higher (recommended);
- CPU: Min. of 2 GB of RAM, Min. of 2 GB of spare disk space is recommended;
- Processor: 2.0 GHz processor or higher (32-bit or 64-bit);
- Monitor with at least 1024×768 screen resolution;
- Internet access: Minimum ADSL1 with a speed of at least 1.5Mbps;
- Valid personal email address;
- Speakers and microphone/headset;
- Adobe Reader;
- Word processing and presentation software e.g. – Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, etc; and
- In date web browser – e.g. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.
Articulation Pathways from the Qualification
On completion of this course, you could consider higher qualifications in this Training Package, the Training Package area of your vocational competence, or in the higher education sector. For instance, you may specialise in the Graduate Certificate in Management (Learning) (BSB80515), or Graduate Diploma of Management (Learning) (BSB80615) or Graduate Diploma of Strategic Leadership (BSB80215)..
Each applicant will be interviewed to:
- Ensure suitability of program for the individual and his/her current position and/or career path;
- Explore possibilities for RPL and/or credit transfer (as applicable);
- Identify special needs and determine reasonable adjustment (if applicable/required);
- Establish delivery mode(s) that match the requirements of the student;
- Inform important policies/processes (e.g. – student selection/admissions, privacy, payment/refunds, grievance/complaints processes, etc)
Gaining University Entrance
Choosing a GEM College of International Business to University Pathway is a great way to get practical ‘job ready’ skills and then gain entry to a university at an advanced stage. A Graduate Certificate/Diploma from GEM College of International Business, coupled with relevant industry experience, may gain entrance to post graduate qualifications.