Establishing good policies, and continuously monitoring that they are being implemented properly are inter alia important cornerstones of successfully managing a small business. The Certificate IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business enables students to learn the importance of this, while also learning how to:
• Establish or operate a business providing self-employment;
• Establish a new venture as part of a larger organisation; and
• Ensure its viability and sustainability; and
This qualification is suitable for those establishing a small business. Graduates will evidence the ability to:
• Use well developed skills and a broad knowledge base to solve a range of
unpredictable problems; and
• Analyse and evaluate information from a variety of sources.
Graduates may also provide leadership and guidance to others and have responsibility for
the output of others.
Career Opportunities/Vocational Outcomes
The qualification applies equally well to people working in administration, or starting or
running a small business.
Career Opportunities/Vocational Outcomes
This qualification may apply to those working in a business environment, or who have an interest in entrepreneurship.
View this Qualification on training.gov.au.
Online and/or Blended Delivery
Certificate IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business – BSB40320
(Release 1.0).Training Package
Business Services Training Package (Release 7.0-7.1).GEM Online Campus
The Learner is provided with User Name and Password to the GEM Online Campus, which enables access to the interactive Online Screen Guide; the Learner Guide (pdf); the Assessment Guide; and the Quick Reference Guide,Blended Delivery
Study via face to face intensives; supported by Learner Guide, Assessment Guide; Online Seminars.
Nominal minimum hours of study plus individual research and on the job application is 1,200 – 2,400 hours (normally over a period of 12-24 months); OR approximately 10 hours research and study per week (face-to-face/online) for 12 months from commencement. During the balance of the time, learners will be engaged in work-based/simulated work-based (portfolio building) activities, assessments.
The Course Structure consists of 10 units, 4 Core units and 6 Elective units, of which:
2 Elective Units must be selected from Group A (Entrepreneurship and New Business) and the remaining 4 Elective Units from Group B (Transferable Skills):
o Up to 3 Units may be selected from Group A (Entrepreneurship and New Business)
o Up to 4 Units may be selected from Group B (Transferable Skills)
o If not listed, up to 2 Units may be selected from a Certificate III, Certificate IV or Diploma from this or any other currently endorsed Training Package qualification or accredited course.
Elective units must be relevant to the work environment and the qualification, maintain the integrity of the AQF alignment and contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.
|Establish legal and risk management requirements of new business ventures
|Market new business ventures
|Plan finances for new business ventures
|Research and develop business plans
|Apply communication strategies in the workplace
|Develop and present business proposals
|Establish operational strategies and procedures for new business ventures
|Investigate business opportunities
|Manage compliance for small businesses
|Manage finances for new business ventures
Assistance might be available for this qualification: gemcollege.edu.au/financial-assistance.
State Government funding/subsidies may be available within your state. Please check with your GEM representative if you require clarity in this regard.
GEM College now partners with Study Loans as a great way for you to finance your course. Click here to find out more and apply.
Your tuition fee includes:
- Access to GEM Online Campus – and interactive Onscreen Guides
- Learner Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- Assessment Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- All essential reference materials.
- Additional Reference materials may be requested, to further enhance your learning, and these will attract an additional charge.
Contact our Administration Centre on (08) 8342 3316 for more information and payment options. Fees, charges and course offerings are subject to change.
Fees can be paid using EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, cheque, money order or purchase order. Note: GEM College may not accept upfront payments in excess of $1,500 from individuals, prior to a pre-enrolment discussion with a course advisor.
A limited number of Partial Scholarships are offered within Australia annually. A limited number of Offshore Scholarships are offered annually. See Application for Consideration for Scholarship.
Course Fees: $3,750
While there are no prerequisite requirements for entry into this qualification, learners will need:
• Communication skills at a requisite level to complete the course
• Computer skills such as:
– Knowledge of common computing terms and word processing;
– Familiar with web browser software;
– Able to send/receive e-mail, including e-mail with attachments; and
– Proficient in navigating the Internet.
Articulation Pathways from the Qualification
On completion of this qualification, you may undertake a specialist qualification; ie Diploma of Work Health and Safety; Diploma of Human Resources Management; Diploma of Training Design and Development; or a generic qualification such as Diploma of Leadership and Management OR Diploma of Business.
Each applicant will be interviewed to:
• Ensure suitability of program for the individual and his/her current position and/or career path;
• Explore possibilities for RPL and/or credit transfer (as applicable);
• Identify special needs and determine reasonable adjustment (if applicable/required);
• Establish delivery mode(s) that match the requirements of the student;
• Inform important policies/processes (e.g. – student selection/admissions, privacy, payment/refunds, grievance/complaints processes, etc).
Gaining University Entrance
A Certificate IV or Diploma may gain 6-12 months advanced standing in a university degree. Some Advanced Diplomas may be eligible for even more credit. Choosing a GEM College of International Business to University Pathway is a great way to get practical ‘job ready’ skills and then gain entry to a university at an advanced stage.
A Graduate Certificate/Diploma from GEM College of International Business, coupled with relevant industry experience, may gain entrance to post graduate qualifications.