The Mission of GEM College is to “assist individuals and corporations towards achieving their highest potential and to help make the world a safer place to work” – we are doing our part… Will you do yours?
The Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety is ideal for people who apply advanced practical knowledge to coordinate, facilitate and maintain the Work Health and Safety (WHS) program in one or more fields of work in an organisation.
This qualification reflects the role of individuals who apply advanced practical knowledge and skills to coordinate, facilitate and maintain a work health and safety (WHS) program. It is suited to those who – possess significant work health and safety skills and knowledge; and wish to consolidate and build pathways to further educational and/or employment opportunities.
GEM Graduates of this qualification will gain a comprehensive understanding of the management of Workplace Health and Safety within their own jurisdiction and industry. They will be exposed to world’s best practice policies and procedures, and will be able to apply this substantial knowledge base to conduct safety audits, and manage hazards within the workplace, including monitoring and managing Material Safety Data Sheets.
Our management programs are “pracademic” – they are commercially practical and academically rigorous!
View this Qualification on training.gov.au.
The Course Structure requires that learners successfully complete 11 units, namely – 5 Core; and 6 Electives. 3 Elective Units must be selected from the list of Group A Electives below, while the remainder will be drawn from:
- The list of Group B Electives below; and
- If not listed, 1 Elective Unit may be selected from a Diploma or Advanced Diploma from any currently endorsed Training Package or accredited course..
Elective units must be relevant to the work environment and the qualification, maintain the integrity of the AQF alignment and contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.
|Apply ergonomics to manage WHS risks
|Apply safe design principles to control WHS risks
|Conduct a WHS audit under the guidance of a lead auditor
|Develop and implement a strategy to support a positive WHS culture
|Evaluate the WHS performance of an organisation
|Apply occupational hygiene principles to manage WHS risks
|Develop and implement strategies that support work-related psychological health and safety
|Establish and manage compliance management systems
|Provide leadership across the organisation
Online and/or Blended Delivery
Advanced Diploma of Work Health and Safety- BSB60619
BSB Business Services Training Package
GEM Online Campus
The Learner is provided with User Name and Password to the GEM Online Campus, which enables access to the interactive Online Screen Guide; the Learner Guide (pdf); the Assessment Guide; and the Quick Reference Guide.
Study via face to face intensives; supported by Learner Guide, Assessment Guide; Online Seminars.
Nominal minimum hours of study plus individual research and on the job application is 1,800 – 2,400 hours (normally over a period of 18-24 months); OR approximately 10 hours research and study per week (face-to-face/online) for 18 months from commencement. During the balance of the time, learners will be engaged in work-based/simulated work-based (portfolio building) activities, assessments.
Assistance might be available for this qualification: http://www.gemcollege.edu.au/financial-assistance/. State Government funding/subsidies may be available within your state. Please check with your GEM representative if you require clarity in this regard.
Your tuition fee includes:-
- Access to GEM Online Campus – and interactive Onscreen Guides
- Learner Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- Assessment Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- All essential reference materials.
- Additional Reference materials may be requested to further enhance your learning. These might attract an additional charge.
Contact our Administration Centre on (08) 8342 3316 for more information and payment options. Fees, charges and course offerings are subject to change.
Fees can be paid using EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, cheque, money order or purchase order. Note: GEM College may not accept upfront payments in excess of $1,500 from individuals, prior to a pre-enrolment discussion with a course advisor.
A limited number of Partial Scholarships are offered within Australia annually. A limited number of Offshore Scholarships are offered annually. See Application for Consideration for Scholarship on the GEM website.
Course Fees: $4,990
All BSB51319 Diploma of Work Health and Safety core units or equivalent competencies. Equivalent competencies are predecessors to four of the units below, which have been mapped as equivalent. Note: BSBWHS519 is new to the core of the Diploma, equivalent to its previous version, and a requirement for entry into the Advanced Diploma.
- BSBWHS513 Lead WHS risk management
- BSBWHS515 Lead initial response to and investigate WHS incidents
- BSBWHS516 Contribute to developing, implementing and maintaining an organisation’s WHS management system
- BSBWHS519 Lead the development and use of WHS risk management tools
- BSBWHS522 Manage WHS consultation and participation processes.
In addition to the above prerequisite requirements, students enrolled into this qualification learners will need:
- Communication skills at a requisite level to complete the course
- Computer skills such as:
- Knowledge of common computing terms and word processing;
- Familiar with web browser software;
- Able to send/receive e-mail, including e-mail with attachments; and
- Proficient in navigating the Internet.
Each applicant will be interviewed to:
- Ensure suitability of program for the individual and his/her current position and/or career path;
- Explore possibilities for RPL and/or credit transfer (as applicable);
- Identify special needs and determine reasonable adjustment (if applicable/required);
- Establish delivery mode(s) that match the requirements of the student;
- Inform important policies/processes (e.g. – student selection/admissions, privacy, payment/refunds, grievance/complaints processes, etc)
Articulation Pathways from the Qualification
On completion of this course, you could consider higher qualifications in this Training Package, the Training Package area of your vocational competence, or in the higher education sector. For instance, you may specialise in the Graduate Diploma of Management (Learning) or Graduate Diploma of Strategic Leadership.
Gaining University Entrance
Choosing a GEM College of International Business to University Pathway is a great way to get practical ‘job ready’ skills and then gain entry to a university at an advanced stage. A Graduate Certificate/Diploma from GEM College of International Business, coupled with relevant industry experience, may gain entrance to post graduate qualifications.