The Certificate IV in Business will enable you to maximise your use of digital technologies and develop your – critical thinking; business relationships; and communication strategies. Or you can select one of 9 specialisations (big data, administration, sustainability, leadership, finance, procurement, records and information management, cyber security or operations). Our enrolment team will help you to select an option that will equip you with an arsenal of skills that is a great match for your actual/intended job role.
This course reflects the role of individuals in a variety of Business Services job roles. It is likely that these individuals are establishing their own work performance.
Individuals in these roles carry out a mix of specialist and moderately complex administrative or operational tasks that require self-development skills. They use well-developed skills and a
broad knowledge base to apply solutions to a defined range of unpredictable problems and analyse information from a variety of sources. They may provide leadership and guidance to
others with some limited responsibility for the output of others.
Graduates of this qualification are able to demonstrate a broad range of knowledge and skills in varied contexts to undertake skilled work and as a pathway for further learning. They will
apply knowledge and skills to demonstrate autonomy and judgement and to take limited responsibility in known and stable contexts within established parameters.
Persons wishing to enroll in this qualification may elect to undertake the course in one of the given specialisations (see Course Structure). At GEM College we do understand that this might
be overwhelming to some and that each individuals is unique. Therefore our course counsellors can assist in guiding you towards a choice that is best suited to your needs.
View this Qualification on training.gov.au.
The Course Structure consists of 12 Units. Graduates must complete 6 Core Units plus 6 Elective Units, of which:
- 2 Units must be selected from the Group A Elective Units listed below;
- For the remaining 4 Elective Units:
- Up to 4 may be selected from Groups A – J below; and
- If not listed, up to 2 units may be selected from a Certificate III, Certificate IV or Diploma from this or any other currently endorsed Training Package qualification or accredited course.
Elective Units must be relevant to the work environment and the qualification, maintain the integrity of the AQF alignment and contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.
This qualification can also provide for specialisations. To achieve a specialisation, additional packaging rules must be adhered to. Thus, for Specialisation in:
- Leadership – Certificate IV in Business (Leadership), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group B;
- Business Administration – Certificate IV in Business (Administration), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group C;
- Business Operations – Certificate IV in Business (Operations), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group D;
- Sustainability – Certificate IV in Business (Sustainability), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group E;
- Big Data – Certificate IV in Business (Big Data), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group F;
- Cyber Security – Certificate IV in Business (Cyber Security), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group G;
- Financial Administration – Certificate IV in Business (Finance), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group H;
- Records and Information Management – Certificate IV in Business (Records and Information Management), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group I; or
- Procurement – Certificate IV in Business (Procurement), 4 Elective Units must be selected from Group J.
|Apply communication strategies in the workplace
|Apply critical thinking to work practices
|Build and maintain business relationships
|Implement and monitor WHS policies, procedures and programs
|Use digital technologies to collaborate in a work environment
|Write complex documents
|Develop a business case for sustainability improvements
|Develop and implement workplace sustainability plans
|Develop team understanding of and commitment to sustainability
|Develop workplace policies and procedures for sustainability
|Evaluate and report on workplace sustainability
|Implement and monitor environmentally sustainable work practices
|Contribute to cyber security incident responses
|Contribute to cyber security risk management
|Contribute to cyber security threat assessments
|Maintain security of digital devices
|Promote workplace cyber security awareness and best practices
Online and/or Blended Delivery
Certificate IV in Business – BSB40120
BSB Business Services Training Package
GEM Online Campus
The Learner is provided with User Name and Password to the GEM Online Campus, which enables access to the interactive Online Screen Guide; the Learner Guide (pdf); the Assessment Guide; and the Quick Reference Guide.
Study via face to face intensives; supported by Learner Guide, Assessment Guide; Online Seminars.
Nominal minimum hours of study plus individual research and on the job application is 600 – 1,200 hours (normally over a period of 6-12 months); OR approximately 10 hours research and study per week (face-to-face/online) for 6 months from commencement. During the balance of the time, learners will be engaged in work-based/simulated work-based (portfolio building) activities and assessments.
Assistance might be available for this qualification: http://www.gemcollege.edu.au/financial-assistance/. State Government funding/subsidies may be available within your state. Please check with your GEM representative if you require clarity in this regard.
GEM College now partners with Study Loans as a great way for you to finance your course. Click here to find out more and apply.
Your tuition fee includes:
- Access to GEM Online Campus – and interactive Onscreen Guides
- Learner Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- Assessment Guide for each Unit (pdf)
- All essential reference materials.
- Additional Reference materials may be requested to further enhance your learning. These might attract an additional charge.
Contact our Administration Centre on (08) 8342 3316 for more information and payment options. Fees, charges and course offerings are subject to change. Fees can be paid using EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard, cheque, money order or purchase order. Note: GEM College may not accept upfront payments in excess of $1,500 from individuals, prior to a pre-enrolment discussion with a course advisor.
A limited number of Partial Scholarships are offered within Australia annually. A limited number of Offshore Scholarships are offered annually. See Application for Consideration for Scholarship on the GEM website.
Course Fees: $3,500
While there are no prerequisite requirements for entry into this qualification, pathways for candidates considering this qualification will need:
- Communication skills at a requisite level to complete the course
- Computer skills such as:
- Knowledge of common computing terms and word processing;
- Familiar with web browser software;
- Able to send/receive e-mail, including e-mail with attachments; and
- Proficient in navigating the Internet.
Each applicant will be interviewed to:
- Ensure suitability of program for the individual and his/her current position and/or career path;
- Explore possibilities for RPL and/or credit transfer (as applicable);
- Identify special needs and determine reasonable adjustment (if applicable/required);
- Establish delivery mode(s) that match the requirements of the student;
- Inform important policies/processes (e.g. – student selection/admissions, privacy, payment/refunds, grievance/complaints processes, etc).
Articulation Pathways from the Qualification
On completion of this qualification, you may undertake a specialist qualification, e.g. – Diploma of Work Health and Safety; Diploma of Human Resources Management; Diploma of Training Design and Development; or a generic qualification such as Diploma of Leadership and Management OR Diploma of Business.
Gaining University Entrance
A Certificate IV or Diploma may gain 6-12 months advanced standing in a university degree. Some Advanced Diplomas may be eligible for even more credit. Choosing a GEM College of International Business to University Pathway is a great way to get practical ‘job ready’ skills and then gain entry to a university at an advanced stage.
A Graduate Certificate/Diploma from GEM College of International Business, coupled with relevant industry experience, may gain entrance to post graduate qualifications.